No Sleep till Delhi!

This week’s crazy unwanted adventure started right after we left the Golden Temple. Liza started feeling sick. I wasn’t really surprised since most of the people at the temple also looked Sikh. We also have been having a ton of trouble booking train tickets online. It’s a very complicated process, and they were supposed to e-mail us a password but they never did. When they finally realized they had forgotten and sent it, the train we wanted was already fully booked. Liza wasn’t feeling good and the train was full so we decided to get a taxi. In India, you take a rickshaw to travel around one city, and taxis are for longer trips. Plus this would eliminate the stress of getting from the New Delhi train station to our hotel… so I thought. The ride was going well until we got just outside Delhi. Our driver pulled over and began talking to another guy who was pulled over and apparently lost. We followed him for the next five minutes then pulled over again. We gave the driver our hotel’s name address, and phone number. We even took out our map and put a dot where we wanted to go. No luck. The driver also didn’t speak any English so we had no idea what was going on. He started hailing rickshaws and talking to them. Most wound up just driving away. Finally he took our bags, tossed them in the rickshaw, and gestured for us to go with him. “Ummmm…” I thought, “does this guy know which hotel we’re going to or is he just going to bring us to a random hotel that pays him commission for bringing lost tourists there like I read about in the guide book?” Somehow we made it to our hotel. We went to the restaurant across the street. I got a vegetarian cheese burger and loved it. That’s how you know it was a stressful day. A vegetarian cheeseburger made me happy. Later that night, though, Liza really wasn’t feeling good. I took her temperature and it jumped from 99.4 to 101 degrees. I began to worry. We agreed that the stressful day may have made it worse so we decided to check again in the morning. In the morning, Liza wasn’t feeling much better, but her fever dropped back to 99.6 degrees. She laid in bed most of the day. By dinner time she was feeling much better, and her fever was all the way gone.

We’re beginning to get really exhausted with traveling and this latest adventure has made us really want to just do a few last things and go home. This being the plan, I went to a travel agent today to book a tour of the city and price out some options for our last week. He mentioned a tour of Rajasthan which was the exact itinerary I planned only several days shorter because we’d have a driver. Unfortunately this was way too expensive so we decided we’d probably have to do a shorter cheaper option, if we could even afford that. We went to the hotel and checked our bank account only to discover that Liza’s tax refund cleared! Now we can do the longer itinerary! We’re so excited! We have about two more weeks left before we head home, and it looks like it’ll be quite the adventure!

2 responses to this post.

  1. Posted by amy stoner on February 27, 2013 at 5:15 pm

    You guys are doing great, Tom! Thanks for taking good care of Liza. Real cheeseburgers all around when you guys get home. Have a great last adventure!


  2. Posted by Nancy Rions on February 28, 2013 at 12:36 am

    I can’t wait to see you! Stay healthy and safe!

    Love Nana


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: